Google

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Daily Breakfast

I've been eating the same 2 things for breakfast everyday for the past few months. The first is what I call my "Open Face Breakfast Sandwich", which includes:
  • 1 egg (I like organic brown eggs)
  • 1 small red or white potato
  • grated parmesan cheese - 90 mg sodium/2 tsp
  • black pepper
  • salt substitute
  • chili pepper flakes
  • 1 slice bread (I use a whole grain brown bread) - 95 mg sodium/slice
Recipe
  • Heat a some olive oil in a small frying pan over low to medium heat (enough to coat the bottom)
  • Slice the potato into thin, long strips and put into pan (make sure all strips are touching pan)
  • Sprinkle some chili pepper flakes onto potatoes (to taste)
  • When potatoes are browned on one side, flip them over and crack the egg over the top (potatoes should be arranged in a loose grouping, so that eggs covers them)
  • Sprinkle the salt substitute & black pepper over the egg (to taste), and enough of the parmesan cheese to make a thin layer over unbroken yolk & rest of egg
  • After a few minutes, flip entire egg/potato over without breaking yolk, and brown on yolk side
  • Toast bread
  • Remove egg/potato mix from pan and blot with paper towel (should come out of pan as one cohesive unit).
  • You can put the mix onto the toast as is, or sometimes i like to spread a little mustard or hummus onto the toast before putting the egg mix on
  • Ready to eat!
I eat this with a small bowl of cereal, with a one sliced up banana & Rice Dream Organic Original flavor rice milk (lactose intolerant). My cereal of choice is Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin Flax Plus Granola (25 mg sodium/half cup). The rice milk is lower in sodium than the soy milks that I've seen (100 mg sodium/cup). I know that for normal eaters, this doesn't sound very appetizing, but it's actually pretty good. Trader Joe's has the cereal for between $2 to $3. At Gelsons they charge around $5 for the same product. The rice milk is around $1.99.

If you do search for flax seeds, you'll see that one of its benefits is that it helps lower blood pressure. Same goes for bananas, because of their potassium content (I always load up on bananas before my Dr. visits!).

1 comment:

Katherine Strate said...

Hi! You should definitely keep blogging! I have a blog about restaurants in Athens, Ga., and I linked to your site. It's great!

I like all of your insights, and I'm sure other people do, too. With the low sodium debate going on, people are becoming more aware.

I applaud your efforts. Feel free to leave your comments on my blog post about eating out the low sodium way. http://dawgfood.blogspot.com