Google

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Year Later...

Now, about a year after I got off of atenolol, I'm maintaining my blood pressure at around 130/90, taking just 1/2 a HCZ pill per day. Yes, I was off of both meds for about 6 months, but my Dr. thought it would be good to get back on a minimal dose since my BP did go up some (but still within the normal range). I started a new job a few months ago, and I've been slacking some on the food I eat for lunch out. I'm still eating low sodium dinners (i.e. same cereal and/or no or little-salt-added cooking), so it seems to be balancing out. One surprising change at my last check-up was my cholesterol, which was at 210 2 years ago (when my BP was off the charts), was down to 170. Guess it was a positive by-product of my change in diet.

I've found that Swiss cheese (60-90 mg sodium/serving) is a much lower sodium alternative to cheddar or jack cheese (usually 170-190 mg sodium/serving). I like to melt a slice on a piece of toast to eat with my cereal. I also found Heinz No Salt Added Ketchup, which I had never seen before. Not as tasty as the regular version, but not too bad. Works well on no-salt-added turkey swiss burgers!

It's amazing how all of these little things that you can watch can really make a different in the long-run.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really am glad you have this blog. I have portal hypertension related to an enlarged spleen. My doctor says it's manageable IF I maintain a low sodium (1,500mg-2000mg)diet and remain on my beta blocker. I'm 35 yrs old and pretty active. Please keep it up!

AnnC said...

Hi -

Really interested to read your blog. I'm in the UK, and trying to convert my family to a low sodium diet. There is very little non-US information out there, which makes it hard because processed foods are the biggest problem, and we have different brands here!

Glad to hear it's working for you and bringing down your blood pressure. Keep up the good work.

AnnC

http://nac-hell.blogspot.com/