Google

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pasta Sauce Alternative

During my last trip to Trader Joe's, I found their private label Organic Marinara Sauce with no salt added. It's not sodium-free, but very low (25 mg per 1/2 cup). It was a little watery and had a more subtle taste than the typical bottled sauce, but hey, it's not bad when you don't have much time and you need to whip up a meal for the family (I typically like to make my own sauce from scratch, but seldom have time to do so). I added dried oregano & basil, a little crushed red pepper flakes and some no-sodium salt substitute (Morton's). The overall taste turned out pretty good, and the sauce stuck to the pasta well. As an accompaniment, I made some turkey meat balls.

For the meat balls, I used a pound of ground turkey, panko bread crumbs, black pepper, no-sodium salt substitute, dried oregano & basil, parmesan cheese, and one egg. After browning the mini meat balls (about 1-1.5 inches in diameter) in some grape seed oil on the stove top, I threw them in the oven and broiled them for about 15-20 minutes (in retrospect, they would've been less dry if they were baked instead).

All this yielded 3 decent-sized portions of pasta.

6 comments:

sartaj faisal said...

Hi

Great information.

Diet Plan
,
Walk In Clinic
,
Healthy Diet Foods
,
Health and Medicine
,
Real estate blogs
,
JObs opportunities for us
,
Travel In Pakistan

Unknown said...

I think your blog is awesome, I recently stumbled upon it when my boyfriend was diagnose with artery disease.. So Im doing my research in trying to find a way to keep him healthy. Thank you for all your info,I hope you get back to posting more, I truly enjoy your insight!

Unknown said...

Hi! Are you interested in doing a promotion and/or giveaway on your blog of a low sodium sea salt and seasonings (NutraSalt)? Please let me know if you’re interested! We have several bottles we’d like to share with your readers for sampling!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I couldn't find a way to contact you. Here's my contact: ann{at}nutrasalt{dot}com

Jenny said...

My husband has Meniere's Disease, and is on a doctor-ordered low-sodium diet. We buy this sauce several jars at a time! Not only is it a good alternative for pasta, but we use it as pizza sauce, and in other dishes requiring a tomato sauce product (like beef stroganoff).